A Walk in the Park?
This hypnobirthing course is designed to provide you with knowledge and techniques that you can put into place on the day of your baby’s birth, and empower you to have a calm and relaxed birth.
There are techniques for breathing, some suggested visualisations, details of how you can prepare your body and your mind for labour and an overview of what you can expect to be happening during labour.
Also included are recommended positions for birth, some inspiring and informative video clips and great hypnosis scripts to help keep you peaceful during labour; as well as some positive birth statements.
What is Hypnobirthing?
Hypnobirthing encourages us to use our natural instincts, allows our mind to let go and tune in and work with our bodies to have a calm, relaxed and gentle birth.
This course is based on the KG Hypnobirthing Association programme, you can read the first chapter of Katherine’s book by clicking below:
Hypnobirthing is not a new phenomenon, it’s not a pregnancy ‘fad’, hypnobirthing as a term has been taught for over 25 years. The ethos and techniques lie in how women gave birth centuries ago and how they give birth in less developed countries. It is getting away from the modern notion that childbirth is a medical event and the Victorian view that a woman should be on her back and the husband not involved.
If nature needs a helping hand, medical support is welcomed, not shunned; hypnobirthing is logical, supportive and magical.
Hypnobirthing is about harnessing the power of your mind – during labour, your body takes control but you can take control of how your mind deals with it. This is not stage hypnosis, I wont be there at the birth swinging a watch in front of you, its more than hypnosis – I would be equipping you with the tools to empower you to remain calm and relaxed during a truly magical process. I am not a medical professional, but I can tell you what your body is doing during labour and how you can assist it. The tools and techniques I can teach you and your partner can be used for the rest of your life.
Hypnobirthing encourages you and your partner to be actively involved in your birth and encourages you to empower yourself with knowledge and understanding of possible birth journeys. I can’t promise a ‘perfect’ or pain free birth, hypnobirthing allows you to remain calm and relaxed whatever path your birth takes; but I can promise to support you and give you the tools and techniques that can change how you deal with childbirth, ‘stress’ or life changing events.
What Will I Learn on Hypnobirthing Course?
- Breathing exercises
- Deep relaxations
- Very effective work to release fear and build confidence
- Comforting massage
- How the father/birth partner can be your powerful protector and support
- How your body is designed to give birth with efficiency and comfort
- Knowledge and information about the whole process
- How ‘the system’ that you find yourself in works, and how to work with it to achieve the best result for you
- A simple practice regime to support you at home
- Understanding how the mind and body work together
Learn about the 5 C’s of Hypnobirthing:
When you feel confident, you relax and work with your body in the way nature intended.
With the knowledge you have, you are enabled to take control of how you give birth.
When you feel in control, the choices you make are the best choices for you and for your baby.
When you feel calm throughout the birth you are relaxed and your mind and body work together in harmony.
What do I receive from a course?
- The Hypnobirthing Book by Katharine Graves
- The KG Hypnobirthing course relaxation CD or MP3s, Colour & Calmness.
- A folder of handouts to guide your practice at home
- 15 hours of class time and a catch-up session near your due date
- 30 hours of my time
- Complimentary refreshments
- Ongoing support during and after pregnancy
- Coffee mornings to attend when pregnant and after baby is born
- A real understanding of how your mind and body work during labour and what to expect during birth and the first hours and days after
How the course can be studied:
You can choose from:
- 5 sessions over 5 weeks
- 4 sessions over 1 weekend and follow up at due date
- 4 sessions over 2 days and follow up at due date
- KG or KE MP3s
- Group classes or individual sessions
- Couples or mum’s only
Each format has its pros and cons, but there is no research showing that one method is better than another. The bottom line is simply that Hypnobirthing works, so choose the format that is most convenient for you.
Is the Hypnobirthing Book and the Colour and Calmness Relaxation CD Sufficient?
People sometimes ask if buying The Hypnobirthing Book and the Colour and Calmness CD is sufficient without coming to a course. The honest answer is, ‘I don’t know’. For a few mothers, it is, for many it isn’t (though it will always make a difference). The trouble is, you don’t know which category you come into until after your baby is born.
When Should I Do a Hypnobirthing Course?
Given the choice, I would advise doing the course in the second trimester of your pregnancy so you can enjoy the benefits during your pregnancy as well as at the birth of your baby. It is not so much a matter of learning facts so they are fresh in your mind, but more a matter of absorbing the information so that it becomes second nature, but Hypnobirthing works whenever you do it.